deSter, part of gategroup, designs and manufactures food packaging, serving both foodservice as airline customers worldwide. By capturing the customer’s unique style and individual needs we create innovative, functional and user-friendly packaging.
We combine our in-house manufacturing, specialized in thermoformed and injection molded plastics, cutlery packs, condiments and aluminum products with strong outsourcing partners
We have always had a strong focus on minimizing the sustainable impact of our products. deSter has cultivated a working environment that focuses on improving the state-of-the-art. In this way, we have realized significant progress in delivering sustainable packaging. We identify the development of sustainable tableware and packaging for the circular economy as one of our key strategic initiatives.
We want to strengthen our sustainable packaging development team and adding a Product Developer bio-plastic Packaging to translate the needs of our customers and markets into new & innovative sustainable packaging solutions that propagate the right ecological story.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Product development or engineering education – Master or similar by work experience
Minimum 3-5 years of work experience in product development of (preferably) food packaging
Good knowledge of bio-plastics and affinity with the related production techniques (mainly injection moulding and thermoforming)
Experience with different development routes and a good feeling which approach will be best suited for different situations.
Product development process know-how. (how to develop a product, how to put it on the market…)
Feeling and understanding of design (product design and graphical design)
Knowledge of food packaging for foodservice.
Experience in customer presentations and communication.
Strong project management skills
Computer and software knowledge (powerpoint, excel, word)
Knowledge of graphical software is a plus
Have experience and a great interest in sustainability
Customer and solution oriented mindset.
Open minded to be able to give different perspectives on problems, processes, techniques and products.
Able to combine organizing very specific and continual actions while maintaining a good project overview and direction.
Well organized, accurate
Team player with ability to function in cross-functional contexts.
Flexible, both in task diversification and in working hours
Show of ownership and responsibility
LANGUAGE AND TRAVEL
Fluent English in speaking & writing
Knowledge of Dutch is a big plus
Willingness to travel internationally. Mostly short trips. (approximately 10% of the total time)
We are looking for a very entrepreneurial Product Developer with a passion for creating sustainable food packaging and tableware, a solid interest/understanding of bio-plastics and strong presentation skills. He/She is expected to combine this with a thorough understanding of how to translate material properties into packaging products with the required properties.
You will manage and execute bio-plastic packaging developments in line with the deSter eco-strategy from initial idea to final delivery and effectively balance the commercial, technical and design aspects during these new product developments.
Key area of focus will be developments in line with our circular economy approach. Your target is the development of food packaging products for both our foodservice and airline segments made of recyclable and/or recycled material, compostable materials and/or materials based on natural resources.
Responsible for new bio-plastic product development process.
• Manage the new developments from start to market introduction.
• Focusing mostly on specifically defined development projects that target the expansion of our product packaging portfolio and defining how to put these developments into the market.
• Development of complete product ranges with required properties from different bio-plastic materials
• Define the right sustainable-solution that fits the specific market and customer need.
• Understand the product lifecycles of the different market segments and integrate this knowledge into new developments. (Operations, product usage, waste management, logistics)
• Converting the initial idea into a clear development brief as input for design, other product developers, product engineering, material engineering, procurement and suppliers.
• Define the right market positioning of the product and provide clear input on key features and key selling points to create the right marketing story. (in cooperation with the marketing manager)
Responsible for the product specification definition of the developments
• Determine the right conditions of use for new developments and define quality levels.
• Make sure the specifications are in line with customer expectations on eco-impact, usage, operations and logistics
• Responsible for the product approval and introduction of the product. Check if prototype samples are in line with the agreed specifications before launching the product.
• Adjust specifications and products based on market feedback and learnings from quality
• Propose specs changes to enhance profitability
• Support quality in finding the root causes and solutions for quality non-conformities
The person will report to the Manager Sustainable Packaging & Materials.
Wij bieden U
Voltijdse betrekking in een groeiende, internationale omgeving. Een marktconform salaris aangevuld met extralegale voordelen.